memoirs of KLITORIKA: A Blog and Book Review

Shocking title? Well, it may be shocking to my Filipino readers but to others, it may not. But as for me, it came as a surprise to see a blog written by a Filipina in a most 'unconservative' way. It may lead the Filipino 'moralists' and conservatives in an uproar for such a blog but I believe, it is timely to see, read and have a blog that talks differently about being a Filipina that is tied to social norms and 'breaking free' from it.

And as my own way of celebrating 'Buwan ng Pambansang Wika' (National Language Month) here in the Philippines, I'm giving you my first ever blog and book review rolled into one. And the first featured blog/book is memoirs of KLITORIKA.

Why is it a blog and a book? Well, she had recently published here first ever book with the same title as her blog. It is a collection of her blog posts with a little revisions but these revisions surely added up 'a lot of spice' into her work.

I admire her for coming out and tells it all in her blog and book. It is indeed a brave attempt to create a 'new niche' in blogs and literature (esp. Phil. literature which I still view as very conservative and reserved). Naunahan niya ako. :) Medyo matagal ko na rin pinaplano na gumawa ng libro na may kapareho niyang tema. But still I think mine would be a lot different.

Going back to her works, a lot would surely raise their eyebrows once they have just read the first part of it. They would surely cry out "This is smut" or "This is a sign of the moral decandence of the youth!!", etc. (Can somebody take me to the hospital, my nose is now bleeding, hahaha.. :D) But that would be for somebody who is not open to new ideas and new thoughts. Somebody without an open mind (and open legs, hahaha... :D) would surely not understand what she says.

I have just bought a copy of the book (the last one in National Bookstore in SM North) and like a child that has finally got his lollipop, I immediately read the book once I got inside the bus. (Well, there's a REALLY LOOONG story on how I finally got to have a copy of that book.) I didn't care the fact that I was standing up. (Kasi wala nang maupuan sa bus.) And It was just a few minutes later that I've realized that some people are raising their brows. At dun ko lang napagtanto na nakatingin sila sa cover. Maybe, the title shocked them, or the apple that looked like the female genitalia. (O may bayad yan ate klitorika, advertising mula sa akin, haha..) Well, I'm very much sure that one of them would buy the book; out of curiosity.

As I browse through its first few pages, I'm really awed on how she was able to say it all: from the most 'intimate and erotic' moments of her life to the most 'philosophical thoughts' she have. Your senses would be tickled (especially between your legs), but as you end each story, you will learn something from it and will make you say, "Oo nga noh, bakit kaya ganun?"

And as my last words, let me share you my favorite excerpt from this book and sorry no translation for this:

"...Pero syempre habang lumalaki at nagkakaisip tayo, nagkakaroon na rin tayo ng lakas ng loob na baguhin, ipagbalewala at kalimutan ang mga paniniwala, tradisyon at relihiyong nakagisnan natin dahil sa impluwensiya ng maraming bagay, karanasan at tao sa paligid natin o dahil na rin sa sarili nating pagpapasya."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave you comments, reactions and suggestions below.